Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Q&A

TripJax posted a list of cool questions. He’s got questions, I’ve got answers. They’re dumb, but they’re answers. Musical tip of the day – Sam Bush has a new album coming out 6/13. Preorder at Sugar Hill’s website for a signed copy. Me, I’ll get it on iTunes.

And hey, does anybody wanna play my seat in the Absolute freeroll this Saturday night? I've got a live game and can't be there.


1. What is the biggest mistake people make at a NL table? Pushing too much. I find a lot of people down at the depths of low limits where I play that are willing to push with 2nd pair, Top pair, bad kicker, things like that. It may stem from impatience, but the mistake is the overuse of the all-in move.2. What is the biggest mistake people make at a Limit table? The one I’m the most guilty of is the call “just one more bet” when I think/know I’m behind.3. Why do you play poker? I’m a competitive person, and poker allows me to blend a couple of my favorite things together, competitive endeavors and sitting on my fat ass. How can it get any better?4. If you weren't playing poker, what would you be doing? Producing more theatre, writing a lot less, having not even the hope of profitability, and playing more Neverwinter Nights.5. What is your favorite poker book and why? Harrington on Hold ‘Em opened my eyes to a lot of ideas about tournament poker, but I think overall Phil Gordon’s Little Green Book has been the most beneficial.6. Who is your favorite poker player and why? Gavin Smith, ‘cause he’s come out for bloggerdom’s current favorite charity so strongly. Barry Greenstein and Marcel Luske will always have a special place for me for taking time out of the WSOP last year to call Charlie Tuttle, Spaceman’s friend who was dying of cancer. That takes a special person, and being a good human being is far more important than pushing a pile of chips around.7. Which poker player do you dislike the most and why? I used to say the obvious answer of Phil Hellmuth, but that’s kinda changing too, for the same reasons that I like the other guys. I guess I’d say the donk that hit a 2-outer to fet me last weekend.8. Do your coworkers know about your blog? Some do, some play in my home game. Upper management does not. Let’s keep it that way. 9. What is the most you have won in a cash game or MTT (both live and online)? Live was the BBSOP win this January, around $400. Online I won a $5 MTT on Stars last year for about $1300. 10. What is the most you have lost in a cash game or in one day total (both live and online)? $300 in about 90 minutes at the IP last December. That hurt. I was losing 100 BB/hr. Nice.11. Who was your first poker blog read? Hdouble had a post linking a bunch of blogs, and that stayed bookmarked for a long time. Linda and Iggy were the first ones I read daily, and Iggy’s was the first (and I think only) one that I have gone back and read all the archives to.12. What satisfies you more, your aces holding up for a big pot or a bluff working for a big pot? The bluff. It’s easy to win with aces, it’s hard to push three lemurs off a pot at 2/4 limit with air.13. Why do you blog? I always wanted to be a writer, now I are one. It’s the same creative outlet that used to be fulfilled through theatre, now is fulfilled through writing, both here, and at Truckin’, and at Pokerworks.com. 14. Do you read blogs from an RSS reader like bloglines or do you visit each blog? It varies. Most of the blogs I read daily I go through bloglines, but then I usually follow links from those to other sites, or use Up for Poker as a secondary bloglines listing. 15. Would you rather play poker for a living than do what you currently do for a living? I don’t think so. I love playing poker, but I don’t think I’d love it if it were a job. I like my job a lot. It’s still a job, and sometimes is still a grind to get out of bed and come into the office, but I think a lot of my enjoyment of poker would be gone if it were my job.16. Do you wear a tin foil hat on occasion? Yes, but I’m not telling you where. And never at the same time as the kilt. 17. If you had to pin it down to one specific trait, what does a great poker player have (or do) that separates them from an average player? Mojo. It’s an undefinable trait, we frequently refer to it as “getting it,” and you can never explain what that means, but you can always tell who has it and who doesn’t. 18. Is Drizz the coolest person on the planet for naming his baby Vegas? Second only to myself, of course. 19. What is your primary poker goal and are you close to accomplishing it? Play a WSOP event, and I’m doing it in July. Also, to be able to supplement my income to a point where I can cash out frequently and spend that money on trips with the wifey, cool toys for the house, shiz like that. Not anywhere close to that one. 20. What is your primary online site and why? There are 3 – Stars, because it was my first site (after Truepoker, which just blows) and there are always so many games going, Full Tilt, because there are always bloggers around, they are nice enough to sponsor this blog and the limit tables are incredibly beatable, and wherever I’m working off a bonus right now (Sun Poker for the moment). 21. What site do you dislike and why? Party. Have never been able to string together enough winning sessions to make it worthwhile. Also I don’t like the fact that your avatar changes depending on your seat, it confuses my widdle brain.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

I can't stand the Party Poker avatar system either. It confuses me when I think, "Okay, the guy in the pink shirt is a donkey," but fail to realize that the donkey left the table 20 minutes ago.

That's why I don't get it when people turn off avatars on Stars. It's easier for me to remember to avoid the Bumble Bee picture than it is for me to avoid BGP23434.

TripJax said...

good stuff...thanks man...

TripJax said...

And I love the mojo answer. What a great word. I think I use it daily. If I haven't used it all day I will make it the last word I say before going to bed. My wife probably thinks I have a name for the schlong or something...